I’m pretty much done with winter. A new storm every other week, having the keep the heating on longer than usual, and soaked cuffs on the jeans. If there was some heavenly cure to take my mind off all these things. Then I remembered about the currywurst I had in Frankfurt and everything changed.
If you do every find yourself in Frankfurt and hungering for some sausage drowned in curry ketchup, may I recommend the Best Worscht in Town. That’s the actual name of place. Talk about confidence eh? Seek if out if you get the chance. There are a few locations dotted about town but this hut is the best as it’ll make you feel like a local and enjoy your sausage out in the street. I ate there almost every day when I staying at serviced apartments Frankfurt with a bunch of a friends on a sausage and beer fuelled week away.
(On a side note, the actual best Currywurst you can get in the world if given the chance is outside the opera House in Vienna. It’s the only place in the world you’ll see hundreds of people in tuxedos and fur coats cue for a hot dog)
Anyways, on to the “wurst”. It is an incredibly easy recipe to make and in most cases involves just a few ingredients, namely:
- Your favourite sausages (or brockwurst if you want to go authentic)
- Curry Powder
- Onion Flakes
- An Onion
- Bread rolls
And here’s what you do in the most simple recipe ever:
- Get a pan and throw in a swig of oil and set it on low.
- Cut up an onion as fine as your possibly can and throw it in the pan to let it sweat
- chop up 2 cloves of garlic and throw them in too
- Get your grill on and get those sausages under
- When the onion is practically cooked, dump in the ketchup and give it a good stir on low
- Once your sausages are cooked set them aside to cool a little.
- Add your curry powder in with the ketchup and stir like crazy. You want the ketchup to take a slight turn in colour.
- Slice your sausages and plate, pouring the sauce over.
- Sprinkle onion flakes on top for preference and serve with your bread for dipping
And it’s that easy. If you’re feeling a bit adventurous/crazy, make Currywurst spaghetti. It’s the type of dinner that is so wrong, yet so right.
If you have any secrets for a special Currywurst, get in touch and let me know.